Search This Blog

January 13, 2011

Doctor Visits - Cloth Diaper Stuff

Yesterday Declan & Averley had their well-visit check ups.  Taking both kids to the doctor is a nightmare.  I did it one time by myself when Averley was 1 month old & it was just awful.  I do not know how single parents do it!  I am so grateful I have a husband & family nearby to help me out.  Declan hates the doctors office now - has since he was about 1 year old.  He screams from the moment we pull up to the office until the time we leave, even if he doesn't have any shots.

Yesterday he did the same.  Luckily my mom was with me to help out.  Declan wouldn't even let us weigh him so I had to stand on the scale holding him & we subtracted my weight to see what he weighs.  I cannot wait until he isn't afraid anymore - not sure when that will happen.  Doctor said it is completely normal for him to be scared at his age and it will probably last until he is 3.  GREAT! 

While Declan was screaming for no reason the doctor checked out Averley.  She is growing very well.- She was 6lbs 6oz & 20 inches at birth & now at 4 months she is 12lbs 6oz & 25 inches.  90th percentile for height & 50th percentile for weight.  She had to get 2 shots and drink some anti-diarrhea medicine.  She screamed of course - and not just a normal cry from a shot...she screeches!  It is ear piercing!!  The nurse couldn't believe it - she was taken back it.  Of course, when Averley started crying from the shots Declan started crying out of fear.

Declan's turn - I had to hold him down on the table so we could get his measurements.  You would think something terrible was happening to him.  All we needed to do was measure him.  At 18 months Declan is now 26lbs (about) & 33.5 inches.  75th percentile for height & 50th percentile for weight.

While there the doctor noticed the rash on Averley - I thought it might be from detergent build up on the cloth diapers or a reaction to the detergent we are using.  He gave me some suggestions and then when he checked Declan he knew it was a yeast rash.  He thought it might be with Averley but it wasn't as noticeable as it was with Declan.  So - now I have to switch over to disposable diapers while we get the yeast cleared up on the kids & have to make sure it is completely out of the cloth diapers.

The doctor suggested using Lotromin so we are going to get some of that for their skin - until then I read that Apple Cider Vinegar can clear it up.  So I have dabbed a few cotton balls onto the kids' skin and gave them both some diaper free time today.  I've been really diligent in changing their diapers often since yeast likes dark, damp places.

With the cloth diapers the doctor said if we are using hot water to wash them then it would kill the yeast but I want to make sure.  I am bleaching everything even though it scares me to.  Bleaching the micro-fiber inserts, prefolds & cloth wipes doesn't scare me as much as doing the covers.  But I know some people bleach the covers and everything is fine.  I will just have to make sure I don't use too much bleach.  I don't really know what other options I have without having to go out and buy something & not really know if it worked or not until I see if they get the rashes back.  With bleach & the hot water I know for sure it will be gone.  I will just have to make sure I rinse rinse rinse!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment